I love cabbage! LOVE! If you don’t, you’ve been eating it wrong. So wrong, trust me. This Savory Cabbage & Potatoes recipe with sauteed cabbage with baby new potatoes, bacon, sweet onions, fresh parsley and seasoned well is some of the best forkfuls you’ll ever put in your mouth! And with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, it’s the perfect side dish to celebrate the luck of the Irish (along with our Irish Coffee Martini & Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Frosting ).
TIP: The next morning, warm it up and put a fried egg on top with some Sriracha sauce and avocado. Heaven!
Savory Cabbage & Potatoes
Sauteed cabbage, onions, potatoes and bacon are seasoned just right to make a side dish you can serve any time of year.
- 5 slices thick bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut in half and then slice into thin slices (half-moons)
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in half and then slice into thin slices (half-moons)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 small head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- Fresh Italian parsley for garnish
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add bacon and render for 3 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add olive oil, potatoes, onions and chicken stock.
- Stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium and cover.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender stirring a few times.
- Add cabbage and continue cooking uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Copyright @ Sumptuous Living